October 10th, 2006
|12:32 am - The 12 Characters Meme|
So I don't usually do memes, but this one caught my interest. It's called the "12 characters" meme, which I caught from Meg's post "The 12 characters meme-thing" over at Fair Game.
The rules are: List your characters numbered 1 to 12, with the name of the RPG you played them in. Once you've picked your 12 characters, look at the questions and answer accordingly. (No peeking until you've picked your characters!) Put your answers behind a cut.
So here's my list of twelve characters:
1. Manfred Flachsbart (Amber DRPG)
2. Torin (HarnMaster)
3. Gudrid (Lord of the Rings RPG)
4. Dot Comisky (Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG)
5. Baraud Valain (HarnMaster)
6. Sl'ghthess/Slick (Crystal Palace)
7. Cassiaz (Rolemaster)
8. Major Phillip Rook (Call of Cthulhu variant)
9. Inspector Benjamin Grimmond (Call of Cthulhu variant)
10. Idelle of Mainz (Ars Magica)
11. Harkel (Theatrix variant)
12. Golden Boy (Champions)
1) Who would make a better college professor: 6 or 11?
That's "Slick" or Harkel. Well, Harkel is incredibly obsessive. On the other hand, he cares nothing for people. Still, he cares about institutions and learning -- so he would try to drive home lessons that would carry on to the next generation. So despite being a heartless jerk, I think he would do well. Slick is a nice guy and smart about engineering, but I don't think he would make a great teacher.
2) Do you think 2 is hot? How hot?
That's Torin, and not at all. He's the least hot on the list, as it turns out. He's virginal but doesn't have the innocence thing going for him. He sees marriage as an obligatory thing which could be fun, but has no clue what it would take.
3) 12 sends 8 on a mission. What is it, and does it succeed?
So Golden Boy sends Major Rook on a mission. OK, Golden Boy's trapped in the past and manages to send a policeman to investigate the time-travelling criminals' neighborhood where he'd stick out like a sore thumb. Rook succeeds, and furthermore realizes where Golden Boy is from, and tries to capitalize on the situation.
4) What is, or would be, 9's favorite book?
That's the thuggish Inspector Grimmond, who's literacy is severely limited. Some sort of lurid Gothic novel which is easy to read without being completely embarrassing to find out. I'd go for the classic: The Castle of Otranto.
5) Would it make more sense for 2 to swear fealty to 6, or the other way around?
Tricky: Torin or Slick? Slick is incredibly shy but strong-willed, while Torin is talented but lacks direction. So I think Torin would swear fealty to Slick, but only after extenuating circumstances because Slick would never ask it.
6) For some reason, 5 is looking for a room-mate. Should they share a studio apartment with 9 or 10?
So how would Baraud match up with Grimmond or Idelle? Well, Baraud and Grimmond would kill each other, I'm pretty sure. Whereas Baraud and Idelle could have a life-long relationship full of passive-aggressive fights and frustrations and passion -- since both are very strong-willed, and Baraud wants a dominant woman and Idelle wants to dominate without ever admitting it.
7) 2, 7, and 12 have dinner together. Where do they go, and what do they discuss?
So that's Torin, Cassiaz, and Golden Boy. They go to a tavern and talk about fighting evil -- because none of them are comfortable talking about much else even after they bonded.
8) 3 challenges 10 to a duel. What happens?
Ahahaha. That's Gudrid challenging Idelle -- a cat fight between my two extreme girly-girls. I'm pretty sure that Gudrid falls unconscious because Idelle secretly drains her from surprise. Then Idelle wakes her up, saying they both had been knocked unconscious, and they go on a fruitless quest to find who attacked them both. Along the way, Idelle wins Gudrid's trust.
9) If 1 stole 8's most precious possession, how would they get it back?
So Manfred stole Major Rook's most precious possession. I believe that it's a memento of the woman he loved and killed. Rook is clearly outclassed by Amberite Manfred, and he'd have to swear service to him to earn it back.
10) Suggest a title for a story in which 7 and 12 both attain what they most desire.
That's Cassiaz and Golden Boy. "The Building of Heroes' Haven" -- a story where Cassiaz builds a castle on an interdimensional tract of land that he will own and maintain, which serves as a safe the home base for Golden Boy to have a family, from which he goes out to do superhero stuff.
11) What kind of plot device would you use if you wanted 4 and 1 to work together?
That's Dot and Manfred, working together. To fit, a demon from Chaos has gotten loose in Silicon Valley. Manfred knows about it, but he secretly needs to capture it but can't tell Dot since really the demon is incredibly dangerous and it would be safer just to kill it.
12) If 7 visited you for the weekend, how would you get along?
That's Cassiaz, the ambitious Theinorran sorcerer. I suspect we'd get along fine -- lots of questions about each other's place, but I think I'd find him pretty boring personally unless he started flirting with me.
13) If you could command 3 to perform any one task or service for you, what would it be?
That's Gudrid, Beorning sorceress. She can do all sorts of things with animals, so maybe give a total mind-blowing treat for my son -- like a ride on a talking horse.
14) Does anyone on your friends list resemble 11 (either in appearance or personality)?
That's Harkel. Boy, I hope not. Vague vague vague resemblance to people with elitist tendencies like Chris, but
15) If 2 had to choose sides between 4 and 5, which would it be?
So Torin has to choose between Dot and Baraud. Um, Dot by default since Baraud is a proud embodiment of Torin's greatest evil.
16) What might 10 shout while charging into battle?
Idelle, the saintly girly-girl, charging into battle?!? "Have mercy on our souls which we deliver unto you, oh Lord!"
17) If you chose a song to represent 8, which song would you choose?
That's quietly romantic Major Rook. Probably something about his troubled past, maybe Simon & Garfunkle's "The Boxer".
18) 1, 6, and 12 are having dim sum at a Chinese restaurant. There is only one scallion pancake left, and they all reach for it at the same time. Who gets to eat it?
That's Manfred, Slick, and Golden Boy. Manfred and Golden Boy are tied in super-speed, but Manfred intentionally misses to let Golden Boy have it to keep his secret.
19) What might be a good pick-up line for 2 to use on 10?
Torin to use on Idelle? He factually lists his assets, strengths, and weaknesses, and then proposes marriage. Idelle snatches him up, since she's desperately looking for a mage husband. They're a perfect match, except for Torin's total lack of hotness as mentioned earlier.
20) What would 5 most likely be arrested for?
Baraud? Probably corrupting the baron's daughter even though he technically never touched her.
21) What is 6's secret?
Slick. It's sort of an open secret that he has an adventurous soul under his timid exterior, but I'd still have to go with that.
22) If 11 and 9 were racing to a destination, who would get there first?
Grimmond and Harkel? Probably Grimmond, even though he is sort of a lumbering hulk. He's got more will.
23) If you had to walk home through a bad neighborhood late at night, would you feel safer in the company of 7 or 8?
Cassiaz or Major Rook? Major Rook, most certainly. He has an air of quiet assurance and can spot out the bad places. Cassiaz could handle himself in a fight, but lacks any sort of street smarts.
24) 1 and 9 reluctantly team up to save the world from the threat posed by 4's sinister secret organization. 11 volunteers to help them, but it is later discovered that he/she is actually a spy for 4. Meanwhile, 4 has kidnapped 12 in an attempt to force their surrender. Following the wise advice of 5, they seek out 3, who gives them what they need to complete their quest. What title would you give this fic?
Whew. OK, so Manfred and Grimmond team up against Dot's secret organization, Vampster-gone-bad. Harkel helps them, but is actually a spy for Dot. And Dot has kidnapped Golden Boy to force their surrender. Following the wise advice of Baraud, they seek out Gudrid to complete their quest. "Gay Nazi and Corrupt Policeman Engage in Occult Quest to topple Secret Feminist Cabal. News at 11." :-)